Badan Riset dan Inovasi Nasional
Republik Indonesia
All activities which are categorized as research activities such as collecting data by using a scientific methodology and tool or equipment conducted by foreign national in Indonesian jurisdiction including in EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone).
The Temporary Stay Visa Index 315 (vitas 315) is the only one which is permitted for conducting research in Indonesia.
The dependents and family members who will accompany the researcher will receive the Temporary Stay Visa Index 317 (vitas 317).
The maximum stay period either the visa index 315 or index 317 is 12 months. It is extendable for another 12 months 4 times.
They must report to the local immigration office to make a KITAS within 30 calendar days since their date of arrival.
They should report to the nearest local immigration office in their research sites. (e.g. The researcher who will conduct research in Sebangau National Park, Cebtral Kalimantan Province, should report to local immigration office in Palangkaraya).
It depends the stay period of the KITAS and type of the KITAS (e-Kitas and non e-Kitas (e.g. non e-KITAS period not more than 6 monrhs, the fee is Rp 450,00.00)
After receiving KITAS and stamp of MERP (Multiple Exit Re-entry Permit) on his passport, the visa will automatically the visa will be valid as multiple entry visa.
It depends the duration of the MERP (e.g. MERP not more than 6 months period, the fee is Rp 600,000.00)
They must leave the country within 7 calendar days after receiving the EPO stamp on their passport
Their immigration status will not be changed to be EPO and consequently if they request the new Temporary Stay Visa, the request will be postponed.
The maximum period of the Research Permit is 12 months. It is extendable maximally for another 12 months for twice
No, it is not. The research permit is applicable for collecting data in general but it is not included for entering the conservation areas, collecting and transferring the samples and specimen.
Yes it is. For entering the conservation areas, the researcher should apply the Permit for entering the conservation areas (SIMAKSI=Surat Izin Masuk Kawasan Konservasi)
For collecting of wild life research samples, scientific recommendation issued by Research Center for Biology LIPI as the Scientific Authority and the collecting & transporting permits from Secretary of Directorate General of Nature Resources and Ecosystem Conservation, Ministry of Environment and Forestry (Sekretaris Ditjen KSDAE, Kementerian Lingkungan Hidup dan Kehutanan) are still needed.
He should request the research permit extension at least one month prior to the permit expiration date.
The following enlists required documents which should be prepared during the submission for research permit application: a. A formal letter addressed to The Minister of Research, Technology, and Higher Education f.d.t Director of Intellectual Property Management, Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education. The letter should state clearly in which Indonesian Representatives (Embassy or Consulate General) abroad the researcher will collect the research visa number 315.The cc must be sent to the above mentioned Indonesian Embassy or Consulate General. a. one copy of research proposal contains at least: title, objectives, methodology, location, and duration of the research in Indonesia. b. one copy of abstract on the research proposal, containing the title, methodology, and objectives. c. One color copy of applicant’s passport (The passport must be valid at least for 18 months when the applicant collecting the Research Visa number 315). It means that the research visa No. 315 applicant should hold the passport which the date of expiration is still valid at least for 18 months when the researcher is collecting the visa. The passport also should be valid at least six months from the date of the researcher’s departure (when the researcher request Exit Permit Only/EPO) d. one copy of the applicant’s curriculum vitae (CV) including list of publications, if any. The position of the applicant in the institutions must be stated, e.g. Professor, researcher, student, assistant, etc. e. one copy of applicant’s recent close up red background 4x6 cm size photograph; f. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between applicant’s institution and Indonesian partner institutions is needed if the research project will be multiyears and involve many researchers or scientists; g. Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) if applicant will send or bring research sample or specimen h. two letters of recommendation from: [a] professor or supervisor or other senior scientist and [b] official letter of recognition issued by the institution or university where the applicant’s works. i. A letter of acceptance from Indonesian research institute or university which will act as the counterpart. (The letter should be addressed to Secretary of The Coordinating Team for Foreign Research Permit, Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education (Sekretaris Tim Koordinasi Pemberian Izin Penelitian Asing (TKPIPA) Kementerian Riset, Teknologi dan Pendidikan Tinggi and it should be written in Bahasa Indonesia) For long term research collaboration, it is essential to arrange for agreement documents, such as Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) between the researcher and the Indonesian counterpart if the researcher plans to take specimen or samples to be analysed either in his/her home country or in Indonesia; j. A letter guaranteeing sufficient fund to cover research and living expenses during conducting research in Indonesia (The amount of the research funding(s) should be stated in US $). k. Health certificate from legal-practising medical-doctor stating that the applicant is both physically and mentally capable to conduct the research (optional). l. A recommendation letter(s) from Indonesian Representative (Indonesian Embassy or Consulate General) in researcher’s country of residence (optional). m. A list of research equipments that will be brought to Indonesia, along brief technical specification and mention the estimated value for each equipment on the use. n. If the researcher plans to bring his/her spouse and children, he/she should submit the spouse’ CV; a copy of marriage certificate or other citizen partnership certificate, child (children) birth certificate(s), copies of his/her family passports, and 4 (four) recent close-up photographs of each family member.
No, it does not. The applicant should sent the soft copy documents by up loading all the needed documents via on line registration system : https://
Within 2 weeks the research permit application will be revied in the meeting by the Coordinating Team for Research Permit Approval and the decision of the meeting will be inform to the applicant as soon as possible after the meeting.
The researcher who holds Letter of Foreign Research Permit from the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education might apply for research extension. The application should be addressed to Director of Intellectual Property Management not later than 30 days before the expired research permit date, with the following attachment: 1. letter of request for research permit extension and including the the scientific justification why the esearch activity should be extended; 2. recommendation letter from the Indonesian counterpart which support the extension request; 3. a copy of tentative final report.
Ristekdikti strongly recommended to the applicant in order to inform to the Ristekdikti in advance his arrival day in Jakarta so that Ristekdikti could provide all required papers before his arrival date. It is to speed up the process and reduse the waiting time so that when the applicant come to collect the permit and all needed papers, they had been already available
the permit and all needed papers should be issued and submitted to the applicant less than 24 ours since the fee paid.
It depends the duration of the permit, the position and affiliation or employment of the permit receiver. (eg. Professor from Tokyo University who granted 12 months research permit period, should pay research Permit fee Rp 5,000,000.00 and Rp 100,000.00 for Registration fee
Yes there are. There is registration fee Rp 100,000.00 for each person and Rp 1,000,000.00 and recommendation fee for travel documents of the dependent and family member
No there are not fee for Research Notification Letter (Surat Pemberitahuan Penelitian= SPP) issued by The Ministry of Home Affairs (Kemdagri) and Traveling Permit (Surat Keterangan Jalan=SKJ) issued by National Police Head Quarters in Jakarta.
For entering one conservation area only, the permit could be obtained directly from the Office of National Park and for entering Nature Reserve (Cagar Alam) or Wildlife sanctuary, the permit could be obtained from The Nature Conservation Institute (Balai Konservasi Sumber Daya Alam=BKSDA). For entering two or more conservation areas, the researcher should apply the permit to Secretary of Directorate General of Nature Resources and Ecosystem Conservation, Ministry of Environment and Forestry (Sekretaris Ditjen KSDAE, Kementerian Lingkungan Hidup)
It depends how long the SIMAKSI time period granted, e.g. For SIMAKSI less than 1 month= Rp 5,000,000.00; 1 - 6 months SIMAKSI = Rp 10,000,000.00, 12 months period = Rp 15,000,000.00.
Reporting to Ristekdikti and related government agencies (National Police HQ and Ministry of Home Affairs) is a MUST. Only in special case e.g. research project by using Research Vessel in Indonesian waters, the researchers do not need to report to Ristekdikti and other agencies. In this case, all paperworks could be handled by local counterpart.
The maximum stay duration of the visa index 315 is 12 months and extendable for another 12 months four times
The visa authorization telex is valid for two months since the date of authorization
The visa will be valid for 3 months since issued by the Indonesian Representative (Embassy or Consulate General. It means that if the researcher can not enter Indonesia during three months having the visa received, it will automatically expired.
It is a simple brief statement from the applicant informing explicitly in which Indonesian Embassy or Consulate General he will collect the visa index 315 if his research permit application will be approved. E.g. “Hereby I state that I will collect the visa number 315 at Indonesian Embassy in Tokyo, Japan”
It will be valid as long as the duration of Temporary stay visa index 315 (Vitas 315) (e.g. If the researcher received the visa number 315 valid for 12 months period, he will also receive the KITAS valid for 12 months at local immigration office.
It takes around 5 working days
It is an Indonesian legal entities (university and research institute) which will act as Indonesian counterpart for foreign researcher. The competency of the institution should be relevant with the researcher’s field of study. (e.g. Prof. Michael Myer, an Botanist from Kew Botanic Garden UK will conduct research in Indonesia. He should find the Indonesian Botanist from from Research Center ofr Biology LIPI who will act as local counterpart and conduct research collaboration with him.
It is a commitment letter from Indonesian university or research institute which will be act as local counterpart for foreign researcher The letter issued by the Indonesian counterpart for the researcher who will conduct research collaboration. The letter should be signed by a Dean of Faculty or Director of Research Center
It is a clearance issued by the Ministry of Defend. It is additional permit beside research permit for conducting research in Indonesian waters including EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone) and the national air space.
All research activities conducted by foreign nationals in Indonesian waters including EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone) and the national air space either by using research vessel or aeroplane.
All types of floating vehicles and research equipment utilized for collecting data and research sample in the waters
He should send it three months after receiving the research permit and every three months since the first report sent. If the researcher conducts research than three months or less than three months period, he is requested to send the interm report only.
He should send it when he request EPO before leaving the country.
The progress report, must at least contain the following 1. Research objectives 2. Description of study field 3. Research material or object to be investigated 4. Research approach or methods 5. Provisional results 6. Problems encountered 7. Planned activities in the next three months
The final report, must at least contain the following: a. Introduction, include: 1. Background information 2. Scientific justification on the selection of subjects and sites to be investigated 3. Review on and comparison with other studies that have been conducted previously on the same subject and or in the same region or else where with similar conditions. 4. Hypotheses to be tested (if any). b. Objectives, include: 1. Objectives and scope of research have to be described clearly. 2. Local research description in detail covers physically aspects (geography, topography, climatology) as well as Biology, social-economic, cultural, and other aspects which are relevant to scope of research. 3. Reason for selecting the method that being used. c. Result and Discussion, include: (a) Description in detail of research result which has been acquired. (b) Discussion of research result cover its valuation, interpretation and significance, as well as suggestion for subsequent research. (c) The benefit for Indonesian development program. d. Conclusion, include: Crucial points which may be encountered from research result. Problem solving of research, encouraging or discouraging of hypotheses
Every year, we receive around 700 research permit applications
9 Research Permit Applications (1,2% of total applications)
The applicants can not fulfill additional requirement or the research proposals are categorized as sensitive issue based on Minister Regulation No 14 of 2017
It depends the security condition
If they have already held the KITAS (Limited Stay Permit), they can levae whenever and they also can re-enter Indonesia anytime. They can apply MERP (Multiple Exit Re-entry Permit at the same time when they apply KITAS at Immigration Office. If they hold the visa C315 and will stay less than 30 days, they can exit anytime without reporting to Immigration office but their visa will automatically expired (single entry visa for once use only).
It is law violation. Due to all alterations of research location should be approved first by Reviewers of Coordinating Team of Foreign Research Permit. The Research Permit holder ahudl request to change the research location and explain its scientific justification and also agreed by Indonesian counterpart
The spirit of international research collaboration amomg Indonesian researchers and foreign ones is to encourage of Science and \technology Transfer and strengthening capavity building of Indonesian research institutions and universities. So that by issueing Research Permit, the Government of Indonesia has GOALS to encourage may local counterpart in joint publication or co-authorship as the main outcomes of the research collaboration with foreign partners.
Yes They must but the review process will be speed up and they do not not need to report and make a KITAS at Immigration Office.
Based on Immigration Law No 6 of 2011, all scientific research activities conducted by foreign national should use Temporary Stay Visa number C315;
For research activities conducted by foreign national in Indonesia less than 30 day, he should use Temporary Stay Visa number C315 but he can skip for reporting and making a Limited Stay Permit (KITAS) at Immigration Office;
Tourist Visa (Visa on Arrival) is not permitted for any other activities but only for tourism activities.
If foreign nationals will visit Indonesia for discussing the Research project in an international research collaboration with Indonesian partners, they should use Social Culture Visit Visa Number B211
For attending a seminar or workshop a foreign national should use Social Culture Visit Visa Number B211. Foe applying the visa B211, invitation letter from Indonesian host institution addressed to Indonesian Embassy or Consulate General where the visa will be collected is needed
We always make up date our website. Please visit
We will respond the email as soon as possible. This is our official email address: